mildew on cuttings

A meeting place for rose breeders.
George Mander

Re: mildew on cuttings

Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

The "BEST" advise there is :

Never ever start cuttings with mildew or blackspot.

Just look at my "Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery"with detailed comments and info for each of the 30 images.

(Plus a "Q" and "A"page)

Go to my "Rose Gallery" and then down half way.

George Mander

Link: www3.telus.net/georgemander/

Stefan

It doesn't sound like the cuttings actually had mildew when they were started; it sounds like they developed it well after they had rooted.

Mildew is heavily favored by certain conditions, like high humidity, slow air movement, and warm days with cool nights. Rinsing foliage with a fairly strong stream of water helps control mildew spread, but a milk/water spray is probably the best all-around treatment and is said to be as effective as any chemical method (roughly half milk and half water works well; remember that you won't want to mix up more than you can use at once). Spraying with Cornell formula (which is a blend of *all-season* horticultural oil, baking soda, water, and sometimes a little soap or another surfactant - you can find recipes online) is another option, but I usually find that it is harsher to the rose and will often cause some significant damage to the foliage. Some say you can just use baking soda alone, and this might be less toxic to the plant's leaves, but I would contend that milk is probably better anyway. Regardless of the treatment used, if you don't work to change the underlying conditions promoting the mildew, it will simply return on the new growth. You might find that if you live in an area where mildew is a frequent problem throughout the growing season, this rose might not be able to overcome its susceptibility.

Robyn Swesey

Thanks George and Stefan, The mother plant in Sardinia had no mildew or blackspot at all, thats why I was interested in it. Mildew appeared after cuttings were well up, so it is my culture thats the problem. Cuttings were growing in a propagation light stand in my kitchen. I will try the milk and moving the plants. Thanks again, Robyn

kim rupert

Look for the product, Serenade. It's an organic bacterial which works very well and isn't phytotoxic. It won't burn the foliage in higher heat nor during water stress like oils will. It can be used on ornamentals as well as edibles and can even help handle lawn fungi and to help control Fire Blight on Prunus Kawakamii.

http://www.serenadegarden.com/

Robyn Swesey

mildew on cuttings

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 am

I brought some cuttings home from Sardinia (Italy) last summer from a beautiful dark pink/red climber. 3 cuttings grew, and I gave one to a local nurseryman for safekeeping! My 2 cuttings originally were thriving, new growth, very green, but now have mildew and not thriving.I treated once with 'GreenCure'. Can anybody give me some advice on how to treat these cuttings? Thanks, Robyn