First blooms vs mature blooms on seedlings

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

First blooms vs mature blooms on seedlings

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am

I was just wondering if there was a thread already in which folks have posted "before and after" photos to show the potential that seedling with a "meh" first bloom might ultimately present. Over the years I've seen some first blooms that blow me away for their substance and form, and it kinda makes me wonder if I should get a little more ruthless and start my culling a lot earlier. (It would certainly make for more room!)

If not, do folks have readily accessible, and are willing to share, some before and afters?

Thanks, gang!
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

jbergeson

Re: First blooms vs mature blooms on seedlings

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:12 am

Would be interesting. I haven't seen a dramatic improvement in later blooms, not that I've been paying super close attention. The one thing is that sometimes there are really interesting funky first blossoms, even the first two, that turn out to have been funkified by some environmental issue and later blossoms are boringly normal.

jmarek
Location: Santa Monica, California - USDA Zone 10b - Sunset Zone 24

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

I haven't noticed any particular seedling going from 'meh' to amazing but some have improved their form as they've matured. Here's one that has particularly impressed me as it's 'grown up'. The first bloom was loose and floppy, reminiscent of a loose tea rose shape, but I had a hunch it was worth watching. It's tightened up and is proving to be quite a lovely rose.
Attachments
firstbloom.jpeg
3yrslater.jpeg
3yrslater_open.jpeg

Larry Davis

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm

That surely deserves a WOW. How is is as a bush? looks like it has avoided the hulthemia spines near the flowers at least. The color shadings are superfine.

jmarek
Location: Santa Monica, California - USDA Zone 10b - Sunset Zone 24

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanks Larry! The original plant is shaping up nicely, about 3’x3’. Very few thorns/spines/prickles and no diseases here in Los Angeles (no powdery/downy mildew or rust, hard to test for black spot here). Good bloomer and fragrant. Hoping to enter some in the rose show here this weekend if I have some nice stems!