Rosa kweichowensis

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Karl K

Rosa kweichowensis

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm

I have become aware of this rare species only recently. It is an odd looking thing that is reportedly a member of the small Microphyllae section, along with R. roxburghii and R. praelucens.

It is a climber, but the styles (free, not exserted) do not suggest a connection with the Synstylae species.

The leaves have pronounced veins beneath.

It is native to a region that is also home to R. laevigata, so maybe hardiness would not be expected. Even so, a climbing cousin of R. roxburghii would be an interesting acquisition.

http://www.fairfun.net/tour07/China/flora/flora.htm

The photo does not indicate the clusters shown in the drawing.

And another photo shows simple sepals.

philip_la

Re: Rosa kweichowensis

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Interesting. Looking at the photo, I might have presumed something in the Rubus genus, without closer inspection or any visible fruit. (Move over, rubifolia!) Link to Flora of China entry within below:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? ... =200011268

Purportedly, it is said to grow in shady places: "Shady places. C Guizhou (Qingzhen Xian)"
Probably not overly adaptable to many areas of the USA:
"Because of its high altitude and relatively low latitude, which means it is influenced by southeasterly monsoon, the climate in Guizhou varies greatly in different regions. Generally, however, the weather is mild and humid. Abundant moisture makes chilly temperatures and severe heat rather rare. With an average air temperature of 5.2C in January and 24.3C in July, Guizhou is an ideal summer resort."
https://www.topchinatravel.com/guizhou/ ... -facts.htm

(If anyone wants to start a gofundme page to finance such, I'm willing to volunteer to mount an expedition to see if I can find the thing. ;-) I know... I'm just too generous. )
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Karl K

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 am

The plants in the photos do look more like Rubus than Rosa. The overexposed flowers aren't clear enough, but also suggest Rubus.

Rubus rosifolius is not exactly right, but close ... and introduced in China.

philip_la

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes. I couldn't really tell, but the carpels on that first photo also looked to be the type to form drupelets, hence my comment on fruit. Presumably, however, there *is* such a rose, erroneous photo notwithstanding, no?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]