Rebloomers genes

A meeting place for rose breeders.
rikuhelin1

Re: Rebloomers genes

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks Karl ... guess he remains a silent star performer in rose breeding in my books
Riku

dgermeys

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:26 pm

pacificjade wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 pm
https://www.actahort.org/books/1064/1064_21.htm

I have looked for more recent studies and have gone through many from Asia, but I can only read so many without going cross-eyed. Perhaps someone else can find an update, if there is one.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ko ... nensis.pdf

I find study quite interesting indeed.
Dane from Belgium

MidAtlas

Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:50 pm

I have a couple of seedlings from a cross between R. rugosa Alba Group and 'Mutabilis' that flowered for the first time in 2020 (the cross was performed in 2017) with an extended bloom time (at least 4/21 to 6/31), but the extension seemed to be due more to protracted flowering from long laterals produced progressively lower on the previous season's growth than it was from any sort of true repeat bloom. I don't know if anything can really be concluded from a first season of bloom, though, and I'm hoping to watch them to see how they change over time (if they change).

Stefan

dgermeys

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:46 am

Interesting Stefan!
Did you use mutabilis as a pollen parent?
So alba x mutablis, expected pentaploid and then rugosa x mutabilis expected diploid?

I have tried to use mutabilis last year as a sees parent with rugosa but none of these crosses take. Only a few seeds between mutabilis x palustris. Hope some will germinate!
Dane from Belgium

MidAtlas

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:54 pm

Sorry, I meant to indicate that I used the white-petaled, single-flowered R. rugosa (R. rugosa Alba Group, not R. x alba), as seed parent; 'Mutabilis' was the pollen parent. I generally find China and tea varieties much more difficult to germinate than R. rugosa, which also produces significantly more seeds per hip, and accepts pollen from a huge variety of other species and hybrids. Even so, I had a fairly low germination percentage because of seed predation by Megastigmus. It wasn't a very serious cross, really more of an experiment, but I was happy to see that the seedlings have produced rather nice flowers.

Your 'Mutabilis' x R. palustris cross sounds very interesting, and I also hope you'll get some seedlings from it! R. palustris is a pretty variable species, from what I've seen; a form from Florida that I grow hardly even resembles forms from farther north, although maybe there is more taxonomic work that needs to be done. I've always thought that the cultivar 'Scandens' looks like a hybrid between R. palustris and R. chinensis.

Stefan