Winter rooting of cuttings

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Rob Byrnes

Winter rooting of cuttings

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:56 pm

I want to try rooting cuttings from my CGPP (Clare Grammerstorf x Prairie Peace) seedling over winter. I plan on sticking cuttings into dirt in pots. Any suggestions on how I could improve on that would be appreciated. Can I do with new wood or should it be last seasons wood?
Attachments
cgpp1.jpg
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River

julie777

Re: Winter rooting of cuttings

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

I am trying to root some cuttings too, some I started several weeks ago and some I started only two weeks ago. I left the cuttings in plastic transparent bottles in water indoors on a window ledge, added a few drops of colloidal silver to the water, fingers crossed but this worked with some Rosa Chinensis Angel Wings cuttings I took last winter, it was still cold outside but very slightly warmer, late February or early March, when I finally planted them outside and they all took, they had roots growing on them when I planted them out. I hadn't been able to root these before without the colloidal silver. I had grown them originally from seed, but wanted more to flower during the summer, which they did profusely and still are.

I mentioned it here http://rosebreeders.org/forum/viewtopic ... ver#p71246 in March, in Henry Kuska's thread, where he links a scientific paper about silver nanoparticles, which I read but can't claim to fully understand, but as I had some colloidal silver already I gave it a go.

I am on the south coast of England, so our winters are mild, almost never dipping below freezing, and our summers are relatively cool, maritime climate.
Zone 9.

rikuhelin1

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Changed my sad score method this year.

Due to low takes last year, meaning only 1 of 25 lsabelle Skinner rooted, which was from the tip of growing cane, l focused on tips this year ... managed to get 3 GJ to strike plus RdxS and L. Gibsons - but discovered GJ inch plus roots rotted from too wet? a mix of vermiculite and potting soil 50/50 before leafing).

Also invested in heat mats c/w temp control ... only issues is the rooted ones already getting too tall with May a long way off. Pruning time ... soon.

Some nursery l am aware is experimenting with spinos using woody grade rooting powder and heat mats - it has seen calcification - l’ve not followed up because l don’t need backup spinos as super hardy here.

rikuhelin1

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:54 am

Erratum “callussed” norm term, my term a geologist’s inorganic prerogative for hard water environment.

Interesting article for me wrt question, apparent callusing resulted in improved take over NRC ?

https://gpnmag.com/article/cutting-type ... trategies/