Rosa beggeriana nigrescens

A meeting place for rose breeders.
rikuhelin1

Rosa beggeriana nigrescens

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:43 pm

I have an opportunity to acquire this rose. I am speculating - does not feel like much of leap - this rose is related to R beggeriana parent of Polstjärnan.

It has color that is appealing - l call it a red single - for using as another candidate for getting the bone hardy non- white red rambler.

HMF has limited info, as well as net and source states “hardy”.

Has anybody heard of it, and used it successfully?

What’s the odds if a successful cross with another red the result will red?
Riku

MidAtlas

Re: Rosa beggeriana nigrescens

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:46 pm

I suppose that would also go for it, if I were in your position, out of sheer curiosity if nothing else--there may not be many chances to see what is even being passed around under this name today (the Loubert photo with pink flowers does not seem to match old descriptions, nor does it show the large clusters of flowers that you'd often expect from R. beggeriana). While the Flora of China mentions pink-flowered forms, the old descriptions from the late 19th and early 20th centuries indicated that the plant known under this name had white flowers and black hips (now, the FoC description states that the hips turn black-purple for the species generally). One publication indicated that Regel was the author of the final epithet, but I haven't been able to trace it further yet to locate a formal description, if one exists. It wasn't published in his Tentamen Rosarum Monographiae.

Ignoring the question of identity for a moment, you might just be able to get some dark pink, maybe even almost-red, offspring with the right partner. Is there some other photo or description that you've found that shows it to be more red than the one from Loubert?

Stefan

rikuhelin1

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi Stefan, yes there is a non-Loubert bloom photo, but likely has commercial protection.

It looks the same color, maybe ever so slightly darker, but we know the variation different conditions cause. The unopened bud form is similar to Polstjärnan to my eyes - but a lot of my other CDN heritage roses have the same bud shape and geometric proportions.

A dead give away of a relationship would be if there was a scaled photo of the bud. Polstjärnan buds are "tiny" as are the blooms. I don't see the florets, as I call them, that are on Polstjärnan. Leaf a little broader ... and darker. But its only one photo focusing on bloom.

Here is the source general description.

color - light pink
5 petals
scent - light
fully hardy
shade -tolerant (same as the shaded 14 year Polstjärnan in my garden)
height - 6.5 to 12 feet (shrub ? maybe in form, but would be a giant in my garden and climate and be on par with Polstjärnan for max peak height)
wild rose ~ 1860
shrub

Put in an order for a couple, because not much of a dollar gamble if turns out hardy, pink (red) and 6.5 to 12 feet high. Big time cold back north gardens value, and testing potential for crossing. Also order Mossman ... odd what not that sometimes have to go far away to get, and repatriate, heritage Canadian roses for my garden.
Riku

rikuhelin1

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Also note R. Beggeriana also likes slightly alkaline soil - have tonnes of that, but been working on making it more of an ericaceous soil. May back pedal where they’re going to be planted.
Riku