Any luck with OP seeds that overwinter on the bush?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jrichardson

Any luck with OP seeds that overwinter on the bush?

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Just before the Snowmegeddon hit Texas I noticed some open pollinated hips on some of my hybridized roses. Because it HAD BEEN a rather mild winter up to that point I decided to harvest them. All of these hips had set in the fall and matured over the winter. I plan on planting them without any chill time just to see what happens. Has anyone in the warmer zones had any luck with this?

Joan Richardson

roseseek

Re: Any luck with OP seeds that overwinter on the bush?

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 pm

I haven't cold stratified any seeds in at least the past eight or nine years and I continue raising FAR too many seedlings to comfortably deal with. I'm not using Arctic hardy species, but I don't even cold stratify any of the Asian yellow species, Fedtschenkoana or Hesperhodos seeds or crosses and they work.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 pm

I had a number of heps that were ripe and ready for harvesting at the beginning of February, but I didn't get around collecting them before the snowpocalypse. Having shelled and cleaned them, I am noting that over 90% of them are floaters. (I don't normally pay any mind to a few floaters in my dilute peracetic acid solution, but this time it seemed somewhat remarkable.)

I find it strange to think that our freeze might have done that.

Do those of you in colder climes find that seeds freezing hard on the bush have low viability?
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)

julie777

Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:27 am

My Blue for You made lots of hips full of viable seeds. I planted some in compost in pots outdoors about January, and they started to germinate. There was a cold spell in February and the germinating seeds died, but seeds that had remained on the bush and I planted later are now germinating. Also in the past couple of weeks lots of seeds have germinated, that hadn't germinated before, from both Blue for You and other roses.

We are now getting a bit of a cold spell, but not as cold as the last one. Night time temperatures for a few days touching zero centigrade (freezing point of water), with wind chill factor making it feel about -3 degrees centigrade. I left the rose seedlings outdoors, but brought some other flower seedlings indoors (lobelia is a tender annual and the others maybe not totally hardy; I had started those off indoors then they were beginning to damp off so I put them outside which seemed to help). Hopefully the current cold spell will be short and not quite so cold and my rose seedlings will survive.

I did wonder if rose seeds are protected from germinating too early so killed by frost when they are on the bush? Nature probably has mechanisms so rose seeds germinate at the right time, when frosts are over?
Zone 9.

mntlover

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm

I had a lot of seeds germinated that had overwintered on the bush. They were hybrid Rugosas, so perhaps yours will be different.
Duane

philip_la

Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 am

The seeds I had collected were from normally good parents (Buck, newer Kordes, and Drift...) I have never before seen such a high percentage of floaters, and as I say, I normally don't pay any heed to such. (While my peracetic acid solution leans a little heavily towards hyrdrogen peroxide which can generate a modicum of bubbles, it is nonetheless *very* dilute, and sinkers normally take a good while to accumulate enough bubbles to float. These were floating the moment they hit the wash.)

We got down to around 8 degrees farenheit for two nights, for whatever that is worth. If not the cold, I cannot imagine what else could have affected the seed so...
Philip F.
Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)

Larry Davis

Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Some years ago I got good germination from a shrub rose bush growing near the north entrance of Yellowstone, hips harvested in June. Around here I have fairly regularly harvested from assorted hybrids in late winter and had fairly good germination. My impression is that if the bush is winter hardy, the seeds will be also. Not many can take the -18 F that we had following several days with lows at 0. That I learned when we often had winters well below 0. With a rugosa in Lincoln NE, very good germ from seeds harvested in April. Even after 1 or 2 more years stored dry in a lab there was decent germ.