New to Forum

A meeting place for rose breeders.
kitterman

New to Forum

Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am

Hi Folks! I am new to this and was hoping to find out if there was anyone living in Utah. I moved form California 10 years ago and had to leave all my breeding stock and am now just getting back to work.

Hope you are all doing well!

- Douglas

mntlover

Re: New to Forum

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:55 pm

Welcome to the forum! I recently left a lot of breeding stock behind as well; while certainly not enjoyable, it does offer an opportunity to make adjustments in what we choose to use, hoping to better reach our goals. I hope that proves to be the case for you.
Duane

kitterman

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:51 pm

Thanks Duane! I have had to really pull back on what I had been doing so am looking forward to what the future brings.

mwesson

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 pm

Welcome! South Mississippi here, so I can't help you with what works in Utah.

Mark

slonghini

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi Douglas,

I'm in Colorado, so we're neighbors! I'm a new hybridizer, attempting a maximum of 50 crosses each season and growing seedlings over the winter under a small grow light setup in my bathroom. :) I've found this forum extremely helpful and welcoming. Best wishes on your future hybridizing endeavors!

Sue

kitterman

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks neighbor Sue! At the moment I am only able to make a 10 or so a year. As I told Duane, I am restarting everything after over 10 years. Loving being able to read up on thing here. Great resource. Btw: Have any suggestions for cold hardiness for this area. I have been working with woodsii but with no luck. I am thinking I may have to take a page from history and see if grafting it onto a few of my other roses may help induce success.

PLANT Smith

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 am

hi good folks
New to the frvvm & I am rebuilding my heart shaped garden that was decimated by the Polar inversion in central Texas.
So far I have taken the opportunity to rebuild the top soil and planted lots of native wildflower and most every variety of milkweed plus some fruits & vegetables. What I am looking for to round out my interests is a way to procure Rosa Mutablé the Mutable Rose in any / all varieties.

This plant is special to me as it stems from a reading of Garcia Lorca's obscure play :
' Dońa Rosita, Spinster '
or
' The language of Flowers '

In the play the Rosa Mutablé is used as a subtle metaphor to great effect and it moved me to want to produce the play only one time for an audience. Thats another story and would like to pursue this and collaborate if possible.

For now my garden would like a Mutable Rose plant to complete itself.

I greatly appreciate any insights and guidance.

Kindly

Quinten
(Plant Smith)

kitterman

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am

Good Day Quinten! There are a number of roses that can be lumped into your query. have you tried helpmefind.com?

slonghini

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi Douglas,

In terms of cold hardiness suggestions, I SHOULD be working with cold-hardy varieties here, but I'm mostly involved with delicate HTs. Some of the seedlings with larger David Austin shrub parentage seem to be fairing well, but they're also planted close to the house where there's more wind/cold protection. I'll keep you posted as I continue with my own research!

Sue

kitterman

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 am

Please Do keep me posted! Been loving being able to back read a lot of the information on here. Lots of good discussion and anything anyone has to add may be of benefit to someone else. I am not so much into HTs myself. I have always had a soft spot for the partially blown semi-double, and always minis will hold a special place in my heart. Happy hunting and good luck in your research!