experience with Ramblin Red?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
mntlover

experience with Ramblin Red?

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:37 pm

Late in the season this year I had mildew on several roses in the garden, but I really noticed it on a few of the seedlings out for their first year of testing. It was only for a short time and everything seemed to do okay, but I noticed something interesting:
Every time I saw a seedling with a decent amount of mildew on it I could pretty much predict that it was from Ramblin Red as pollen parent. Off the top of my head, there were at least four different seed parents, all of which had Ramblin Red pollen, that showed this. None of the seedlings from those same seed parents, crossed with other pollen, showed the same effect.
Has anyone else had this issue? I'm sure I would need to do far more numbers to see if the trend continued, just wondering if I'm the only one that has seen this?
I should add that not all of the seedlings from Ramblin Red pollen were affected, but it was a large percentage (well over half). And it was more the contrast with no other seedlings showing it that stood out to me.
I was using Ramblin Red mostly for adding a bit of cold hardiness (since it seems more agreeable than Henry Kelsey, at least so far), but I was hoping to get a bit of disease resistance from that direction also.`
Can anyone share their experiences with Ramblin Red, either direction?
Thanks!
Duane

shoy

Re: experience with Ramblin Red?

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:35 am

Ramblin' Red was more prone to black spot here in GA than I expected from a Radler variety. I do not have issues with pm except in very rare circumstances.
Stephen
Stephen Hoy
Singularly Beautiful Roses
Warner Robins, GA

mntlover

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm

Good to know. Thank you!
Interesting with Henry Kelsey as parent.
Duane

david zlesak

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:13 pm

That is really interesting Duane. Did RR itself come down with lots of powdery mildew too, or just the seedlings? Maybe there is something unique about the combinations? We usually don't get too much powdery mildew in the Twin Cities area. I haven't saved too many seedlings out of RR because of the tendency among the seedlings for lanky growth, shy rebloom, and black spot. Carefree Beauty babies tend to mildew a lot for me more than CB itself and the other parent, even in this climate where powdery mildew usually isn't too bad.

In our black spot research, RR was resistant to races 8 and 9 and susceptible to race 3. We are currently working to study its resistance factor/gene to black spot that leads to this pattern. Henry Kelsey typically gets a good amount of black spot in recent years too. As more roses and their unique resistance factors are characterized our hope is to provide breeders with tools to strategically combine different resistance genes for hopefully resistance that stands up longer/better.

A nice large specimen of RR in full bloom is sure stunning.

David

mntlover

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm

Thank you for that information! I need to gather in a short list format the roses with disease resistance to different strains of blackspot and work on adding them into my program.
I only grew Ramblin Red for one season: had to leave for a medical furlough (long story) and ended up moving to a different location after that.
It didn't set any hips for me (probably needed to get established).
It showed no disease even though other plants in that bed had Blackspot, mildew, and rust. One plant managed to have all three at once.

Fortunately I had pollen take on several seed parents that season. I also took the pollen with me and used it on multiple seed parents the next season.
At the moment I have seedlings growing from crosses with: Claire Austin, Lilian Austin, The Generous Gardener, The Squire, and Zaide
(I'd have to check records to see if there are others still growing). Fortunately, although some from each cross have had mildew, there are others that have showed no sign of disease yet.
Some are very leggy, as you mentioned.
One exceptional one so far was a cross with Lilian Austin that has stayed short and keeps repeat blooming well.
Fully double red bloom with strong old rose fragrance.
It is out in the ground now, so I'll see how it did when the snow melts.
I am curious to see how much cold hardiness Ramblin Red is able to impart.
I have Henry Kelsey here now, but so far it hasn't combined well in crosses using its pollen.
I have a few using it as seed parent that were from Maiden's Blush pollen and a handful from Cape Diamond pollen.

Duane

Plazbo

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:49 pm

I can't comment on RR, it's not released here. Powdery mildew is the norm here, especially in seedlings, pretty much regardless of parents the seedlings will be mildew babies.

The only seedlings that are consistently free have been R. Spinosissima...no idea why, I've grown a lot of species seed and nothing but R. Spinosissima has been consistently mildew free. Everything else you'd be lucky if 50% didn't have obvious mildew. Doesn't seem to matter if the parents are fine. Dagmar Hastrup has never shown any issues here but easily 75% of seedlings from it have mildew.

On a slight tangent, after a few generations (3rd/4th) of OP of Angel Wings, they are now mostly clean (they weren't initially), with how prolific they are with seed and germination culling is easy. It's possibly an indication of what selection can do and would do if I were further along (ie using less commercially available plants that were bred on the opposite side of the world in very different conditions) in this particularly environment.